- Reports: Raiders tab Pryor over Flynn at QB
- Herrera to United deal collapses
- QB Winston stellar in debut as FSU pops Pitt
- Arsenal sign Mesut Ozil
- Federer stunned by Robredo in straight sets
- Everton firm despite United interest in Baines
- FC Boot Room: Deadline Day
- Ex-heavyweight champ Morrison dies at 44
- Georgia WR out for season after celebration
- Ky. Busch charges into Chase with Atlanta win
Popular Sports Searches
Dale Jr.’s engine fails at Daytona
Updated Feb 20, 2013 1:57 PM ET
Dale Earnhardt Jr. blew his NASCAR Sprint Cup motor less than an hour into Wednesday’s practice session for the Daytona 500 (Sunday, Noon ET on FOX).
BOOGITY! BOOGITY! BOOGITY!
Mark your calendars now and get ready to “reach up and pull those belts down tight one more time!” The Daytona 500 on FOX is set for noon ET on Feb. 24.
Earnhardt ran only 11 laps in practice before his engine failed. His top lap was 191.579 mph — 34th out of 35 drivers.
Earnhardt, who posted the 11th-fastest lap during time trials on Sunday with a speed of 195.584 mph, was scheduled to start sixth in Thursday’s Budweiser 150-mile qualifying race. He will now have to start at the back of the pack.
“We just broke a motor, as simple as that,” Earnhardt said. “We’ll just put a new one in there, start at the back and try to race our way through there.”
In 26 starts at Daytona, Earnhardt has two wins, including the 2004 Daytona 500. He also has won three qualifying races — 2003, 2004 and 2008.