- Reports: Raiders tab Pryor over Flynn at QB
- Herrera to United deal collapses
- QB Winston stellar in debut as FSU pops Pitt
- Arsenal sign Mesut Ozil
- Federer stunned by Robredo in straight sets
- Everton firm despite United interest in Baines
- FC Boot Room: Deadline Day
- Ex-heavyweight champ Morrison dies at 44
- Georgia WR out for season after celebration
- Ky. Busch charges into Chase with Atlanta win
Popular Sports Searches
Recent Sports Searches
Herrera to United deal collapses
Manchester United saw their pursuit of Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera end in failure, with a deal falling down late in the transfer window.
GettyImagesManchester United were unable to tie up a deal for Ander Herrera.
• Payne: Farce at United
Despite United initially agreeing to pay the €36 million required to bring in the midfielder, sources have said that a series of technical issues because of Spanish tax laws left the English champions scrambling to re-negotiate.
It is understood that, as a consequence of that red tape, the English champions missed out because of a figure of around €6 million.
United had a squad number assigned for the player and personal terms agreed, with Herrera even agreeing to take a pay-cut. Despite the failure, it seems likely United will go back in for the 24-year-old in January.
Only adding to the sense of confusion, a controversy has arisen over three figures who attempted to interfere in the deal but have been described by sources as “imposters”.